Onophotopoeia

Some times even the most mundane of scenes, the most commonplace of faces or the most trivial of objects prove to be a cradle of beauty...unleashing new meanings when looked at again and again. The true magic of photography lies in the fact that we can capture the fleeting moments to revisit them...to listen to the music that the image resounds... Onophotopoeia...

Sunday, October 22, 2006

The object of my affection...


In my life, rarely have I wanted anything the way I have wanted an iPod! I am a self proclaimed gadgety person who is totally in love with all sorts of electronic paraphernalia available. When someone uses a blackberry, I give him a typical " you lucky bastard" look. when someone flaunts a Canon Rebel or a Nikon D series, I cannot wait to get over with my PIGS (read...Poor Indian Graduate Student) life! PDAs enchant me, Xbox and PS2 make my knees weak and bluetooth headsets renew my desire to live longer. Yet, I have always held an iPod closer to my heart than all these.

A graduate student must necessarily be thrifty and I follow suit. I cannot imagine spending $150 to buy an iPod...beacuse as they say...dreams cannot be bought, they have to be chased! I must admit though, that I have had my moments of weakness. In those critical times I have convinced myself that at the end of the day, its an MP3 player (Naaww...you don't need that, you have a laptop...see). But I have left no avenues unexplored in order to get a free iPod. I have filled unending surveys (when was the last time you used a toothbrush?: i. a week back, ii. a month back, iii. never) , taken part in raffles and clicked on popups (Who is smarter? Bush or Rice, answer correctly to win an iPod!) but to no avail.

However, my belief and faith in Garfield's philosophy of "if you wait long enough, everything comes to you" finally proved itself to be true. I was walking out of a grocery store when a bank sign caught my eye....and breath!! "Open a checking account and get a nano free!"...it said. I couldn't believe my eyes. The bank was closed for the day though! After a sleepless night filled with nightmares (Sorry, the deal ended yesterday....) and misgivings, I rushed to the bank first thing in the morning...the deal was real and still there! I opened the account and got approved for a mandatory credit card (with a limit of $750...wtf!...and a low APR of 24.75%...not kidding) and waited with bated breath for the baby to be laid on my hands (I am the Father...can I hold my baby?) .... and then came the show-clincher from the manager. " I wish I could give you the iPod today....but that's not how it works. They will mail it to you in two months." Two months....I have to wait two months for an iPod that I legally can claim to be mine?!! That's torture.....but I guess that's life too!

As they say...time is the best healer! Sometimes only around two months can do wonders. After two months, on a Sunday when FedEx guys were working extra shifts to clear their backlogs due to the devastating snowstorm, when the majority of Buffalo was in the dark due to a widespread power outage, it finally arrived. All chic and shining enclosed in an unassuming black box. And finally, finally, we were united. All those months and years of yearnings fell away as I held the silver 2 Gig Nano in my hand. Here's a pic of my coveted possession...taken just a few minutes ago...just to share the excitement with you all :)

11 Comments:

Blogger Carmel said...

thanks for showing us the pic of your new baby! IT was worth the wait i'm sure. Enjoy!

Sunday, 22 October, 2006  
Blogger gIftoFwIngs said...

hehe :)))
so then its not true- if ur hungry for a longer period, the hunger dies!!

Sunday, 22 October, 2006  
Blogger sattva said...

cd, congratulations..u DESERVE yr ipod!!!

i only appreciate gadgets once they've been forced into my life and improved it irrevocably. even then, i complain about the tiniest thing...too small, not small enough, not simple enough! NEVER fully appreciate them machines.

i hope yr new baby makes u smile endlessly!

Monday, 23 October, 2006  
Blogger CrAzY DiAmOnd said...

Thanks Carmel, gow and s!

I am surely enchanted by my new baby! This is only one of the pics that I have taken. I discovered iPods are conducive to photo shoots as well :)

@gow: You only need the first bite to bring it all back!

Monday, 23 October, 2006  
Blogger Jas Bhambra said...

I am glad you gotta hold your baby, and flaunt it on the photo-blog too! A baby as beautiful as this totally deserves to. :)

Loved your PIGS acronym. :)

Monday, 23 October, 2006  
Blogger kundalini said...

nice post, cd. enjoy the company!
so, what all do you have on it? ;)

Monday, 23 October, 2006  
Blogger Lucy said...

Congrats! I'm totally jealous. Two of my younger siblings have ipods and I'm still waiting around for a free iPod promo. :-)
Every grad student needs an iPod to survive the rigors of all that bloody studying.

Monday, 23 October, 2006  
Blogger Moi said...

:) what was it that used to teach us in hindi class???? "sabr ka fal meetha hota hai!" :)

Monday, 23 October, 2006  
Blogger CrAzY DiAmOnd said...

@jas and moi: Thanks for your comments! Sabr ka phal is indeed turning out to be meetha!

@k: yes, now that I lnow what being tagged means....will surely post 10 songs from my playlist!

@Luce: Do you have a KeyBank near your place? You know what I mean don't you? :)

Tuesday, 24 October, 2006  
Blogger Joel Reynolds said...

HAHA!
Man, that story is awesome and well-written. The picture is well taken. I'm like you in that I just want more and more gadgets - it's a sickness. Anyway, great story, man - very entertaining. Sorry I haven't been checking on your blog for the last few days, I had a kid - check out my blog for the deets.
Joel

Wednesday, 25 October, 2006  
Blogger Suzana said...

Glad you finally got your baby! ;D I finally broke down & somehow "justified" the expense & bought an ipod back in the spring. It was an older, refurbished model from the apple store, so a lot cheaper = "well, it's okay then". But I'm so glad I did! Hope you're enjoying your new baby & that it's helping you through some mad studying! ;)

Saturday, 28 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home